Here’s a few facts & figures about my prep for Kilimanjaro which I’ve pulled together over the last few days :-
- Kilimanjaro is 19,341 feet high
- it’s the 4th highest mountain in the world
- It’s one of the 7 Summits
- There are 4 climates on the mountain
- The Lemosho route I’ve chosen is 8 days
- The Lemosho route is a 100k trek
- It will take 7 days to walk up and 1 to come down !!
- Altitude sickness is a real issue for the majority of climbers
- Pole Pole – slowly, slowly – the words I guess I will hear the most !
- I’ve been working on my fitness for 20 weeks
- Averaging 10-12 fitness classes per week
- 240 hours of training (approx)
- Training has been a mix of :
- Club Energize Fitness Kickboxing, Boxercise, LBT
- Boxing, Kickboxing, Kettlebells, MMA Circuits and Rip 30
- Most classes I did in a day 5 !! (not recommended LOL)
Trekking Team and Equipment
- Trekking with 2 guys and 1 girl (as yet unknown)
- 2 Guides, 1 Cook, 10 Porters
- Max weight of baggage is 15kgs
- I’m going to be wearing my HR monitor as I climb (no surprises there if you know me !)
- Layering of clothes is the secret to keeping warm
- At most I have 2-3 of everything – trousers, T-shirts, thermals, jackets, hats, gloves even underwear !
- Temperatures will range from 30C down to minus 25C
- My ‘washkit’ mainly consists of babywipes and minatures of everything else !!
- I’m not planning on washing my hair for 8 days – yes I will be wearing a hat – ALL the time !!
- I am reliably informed that I will love my SheWee by the end of the trip (does what it sounds like it should !)
- Luxury Items : Hot Water Bottle, Decent Coffee, Peanut Butter
- Accommodation is in a tent
- I have a solar charger which will be on my day sac and should keep my gadgets charged and useable
- I’m taking my blackberry, iPhone & Kindle and my camera
- I hope to be able to tweet and BBM as I climb and maybe even blog a bit 🙂
- I’ve had 8 injections (tetanus, typhoid, yellow fever, hep A and B, Meningitis, polio)
- Am taking anti-malarials which give me the weirdest of dreams
- Have been prescribed Diamox (for altitude sickness)
- My medicine kit is huge – mostly ‘just in case’ stuff – but also painkillers, blister plasters, moleskin, deep heat, pain gel etc which I guess I will be using a lot
That’s it for now – follow me on twitter @Bettyboodubai or by hashtag #BBDKILI for more info